Monday, March 20, 2006

Paris, March 2006: Day 7, March 20, 2006, Paris, France (It was Paris or Bust...)

It was hard to wake up from such a dream as the past four days in Paris, but when we did wake up, Matthew and I realized we only had two hours to catch our plane home. We hastily packed and rushed out the hotel doors, barely saying "merci" to the staff for their service.

We caught the Metro to the RER station at Gare du Nord for service to Charles de Gaulle Airport. Once we were settled on the train to the airport, Matthew and I repeated ourselves from the previous night by looking out of the windows at the passing landscape reflecting on the trip. Ironically, we were also on the train with four American girls heading home from a Spring Break in Paris. We struck up a conversation and compared notes. They did the typical tourist agenda of tours, monuments, recommended restaurants and bars, but they were fascinated about our experience of actually being involved in the protest, going to bars and restaurants in smaller, more unknown neighborhoods and traveling around with our Italian, French and Spanish cadre.

We arrived at the airport with very little time to spare. So little that Matthew and I were the last ones to check in on a very full flight on Air India back to Newark, NJ. Fortunately, Matthew was rushed through security, but, as my luck would have it, I was set aside for a "special" security procedure. Off came my belt, shoes, and all contents out of my pockets and backpack. Not trying to create a scene, I stood there half smiling, but still visibly annoyed at this process. The process took a 15 very long minutes and I was let go to run and redress at the gate. I caught up with Matthew as the final call was made for our flight. I stumbled through the last security checkpoint, boarded, found my seat and settled in for my return trip home.

I still don't know what the term "Wherever or Bust" means, but it seemed fitting as the plane took off for Newark. As I sat on the plane heading back to the USA, I turned my thoughts inward. I would remember this trip to Paris for the rest of my life, but I wanted to do more than that. I wanted to experience this sensation of stepping out of my door, going to a new place and creating new memories every single day. I would do this all over again if I had the chance, but knowing me, I'd get bored unless there was a new element.

Paris did feel natural though. Walking through the neighborhoods, going to different bars, eating the most random foods in Paris (paella on a street corner in front of Notre Dame...weird to me, what country is this?), meeting interesting people, shopping, touring around on the Metro and falling in love at first sight multiple times all seemed to fit. I belonged anywhere and nowhere. Although I adored my home, there were times when I wanted to get out and bring home with me, to see the rest of the world and still be able to find peace wherever I go. I guess I wanted both worlds - settled comfort, but variety of a change of atmosphere. I was still somber for most of the flight, but looking back over the past five days, in Matthew's words, "flawless trip."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home